Sunday, February 2, 2014

Let's Help Tent City!....delivery 2/17/14

  "People need loving the most when they deserve it the least"


Tent City of Lakewood, NJ
Tent City donation wishlist updated daily - www.TentCity.org/WishList

"CindyMart" (Tent City Supply Shop) is currently running low on: candles, lighters (matches get damp), vegetable oil, 1-lb propane cylinders, toilet paper, paper towels, fire-starters / fire-logs, small LED flashlights, AAA batteries, men's razors, 55-gal garbage bags, and water bottles / jugs.

Donations can be dropped off at Tent City or shipped to: PO Box 326; Lakewood, NJ 08701.

Financial donations can be made online at www.TentCity.org/Donate



For sometime now Tent City in Lakewood has been on my mind and I really want to help them.
If you haven't heard of them before they have a Facebook page that you can check out here: https://www.facebook.com/TentCityNJ

Tent City is still open and fully populated, with about 60 residents as of February 1, 2014. With the passing of the holiday season, at the peak of winter, they are still very much in need of donations...
I myself am going to drive down there on Saturday February 15th and drop of some general items my car is small so I have to limit what I can take. If you want to contribute I am willing to take things like this:
  • Yard / Garbage Bags
  • Paper TowelsToilet Paper, Tissues
  • Paper plates and bowls
  • Plastic forks and spoons
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Dish-washing liquid, sponges, brushes
  • Laundry detergent
  • Various hygiene products, esp men's razors
  • Candles, candle holders, lighters / matches
  • Flashlights 
  • Various Portable Batteries, esp AAAAA, and D.
  • Solar lights
  • Bottled Water and 1+ Gallon Jugs
  • Protein - any kind of meat, fish (including canned), eggs, veggie burgers
  • Milksoy milk, powdered milk, coffee creamer
  • Coffee (coffee maker and instant), tea, sugar
  • Cough Drops
  • Vitamin Supplements
  • Aspirin, Advil (ibuprofen), Tylenol (acetaminophen)
  • Orajel (benzocaine / dental anesthetic)
  • Cold & Flu Medicine
  • First Aid kits
  • Pet food and supplies
Just drop the stuff off to me anytime between now and then or bring to a meetup that you will see me at.
OR organize in your own area and load up your car and take it down. There are many more things on the what's needed list plus they take monetary donations. http://TentCityNJ.org/Donate
or mail a check made out to "Lakewood Outreach Ministries Church", address "P.O. Box 326; Lakewood, NJ 08701". Donations are tax-deductible.

I went to the dollar store and just grabbed whatever my heart told me to, I spent just $50 and filled a whole box!

So let's pitch in people and help out, like they said the holidays are over and the spirit of giving doesn't burn as bright but the need never stops and it won't stop ........ Please give any way that you can.

With Love and in the Light,  Cassie

More awesome pics of Tent City:   
http://www.johendleyphotography.com/Journalism/Tent-City-Project/i-2PSBFJg

You can also help by signing the petitions to help them stay where they are, local Freeholders are trying to get them out when they have no place to go!    http://tentcitynj.org/Spread_The_Word#Online_Petitions

I had a donation drop off this morning.......now my car will be about 1/2 full and one week more to collect 
check it out what my lovely friend dropped off:




























Update 2.17.14

I did not get down to Tent City on sat as planned due to more snowfall but I did make it there on monday and luckily I was off work becuse it was Presidents Day
The sun was shining brightly but the road in was a sheet of ice so I parked along the road and the pastor who helps out came up with a cart to get the donations. He was very happy and told me many of the residents had gotten work and were out standing holding signs for businesses today. I thought of my son doing that the previous year. But anyway I am glad that I helped even though some rumors are flying about these people and that some are substance abusers and we are just enabling them. I do not know what is true and what is not but I do know that it is never ever wrong to Love and I know the quote I always read on the picture I got from my Mom's stuff after she died.  "People need loving the most when they deserve it the least" So as for me, I am always going to choose to love....... I hope that you all do the same, any way you can and in every way that you are called to....




No comments:

Post a Comment